Why I Will Never Get The Home I Used To Dream About

have always been a fan of looking at other people's houses and their interior design. I love traditional vintage style interiors and I love the look of cottages. We live in a medium-sized two bedroom house and although it’s quite good for storage space, we have definitely outgrown it. I feel that we are at our limits with this house and we are constantly having to have a declutter and sort out so that we not living every day as if a tornado has just whizzed through our house.

It becomes difficult and frustrating when I am constantly looking at other people's houses, tidy living spaces and clutter free shelves and then in reality I sit here with a shelf that has been used as a dumping zone for anything that needs sorting through. Every day I am tidying and cleaning up the house and within five minutes of the children coming home from school they have completely trashed it.

I am, of course, always comparing my house to other people's homes and I’m always trying to better my home. Whether that is doing a spring clean job a couple of times a month, where I am thoroughly cleaning some surfaces, walls or cleaning the oven or whether that is me having a sort out every so often so that there is not so much clutter. Or every so often, I buy something new that will improve the house. These improvements could be big or small. For example, this year I have finished decorating the rest of the house so it has all clean and fresh walls, doors and skirting boards. Another change this year is that my Landlord paid for my garden to be landscaped and instead of horrible decking that felt spongy, like we were going to fall through it, we now have a lovely patio area and bit by bit I have been buying plants for it. I also paid from my living room carpet to be professionally cleaned and I put a brand new rug down. At the beginning of the year, we moved the boys into bunkbeds and got a little bit of new furniture for their bedroom and rearranged it so it is quite spacious in their room now. So little by little, we are making improvements to make it more homely and little by little other parts of it are getting wrecked again because that’s how it is thanks to active boys running around non-stop like mini tornados.

I think I’ve just had to come to terms with the fact that I will never have a dream fantasy home that I look up online all the time. I will never live in a clutter free environment as long as I am parenting two young boys. Some people have it all and manage it and accomplish it, but I envy those people because I could tidy up all morning and clean different areas of the house thoroughly and as soon as they walk in the door it would just be trashed within a minute.

It's not like they’ve got disrespect for the house or anything, but naturally accidents can happy and a toy will clash with the wall some point and leave a little bit of a dent or scratch, or by doing a homework they might have scribbled on to the pine table, but thankfully, we get a cheap table from IKEA for this reason. The boys add clutter as they hoard their own version of treasure. The latest treasure for my youngest is a shoe box lid, because he is carefully placing his 'Well done' stickers from school on it. I went to throw it in the bin the other day and he went mental! 

The sad thing is, that when I do accomplish to have a tidy and clutter free house, it will most likely mean that my children no longer living with me. It means they have moved out into their own home or maybe they're teenagers and never around. And quite frankly, if my house is the way it is, but it means that I have got it filled with love and affection from two boys that I get to be with every day, whom I love more than the world, then I much prefer to have a home filled with love then a home empty from clutter.

This home may not look like a dream fantasy home but it is my dream fantasy home and that is because I am a mother of two beautiful boys, a wife and I do put hard work and effort into this house. Bit by bit I do improve it and it's our kind of cosy which makes it special and homely to us. It’s our family home that makes it my dream fantasy home. 

What’s your dream home? What improvements would you make to your house? Pop a comment below, I would love to hear from you.





For more daily doses of parenting highs and lows, follow me on FacebookTwitter or Instagram

Comments