What I Will Take From 2017 As A Parent

Another year has come and gone. I think since I’ve become older and definitely since I’ve had children they literally go by so, so quickly it’s ridiculous. 2018 will soon be here.

So what did I learn from 2017?

Well.... I know one thing is for sure; if I had to pick a year to revisit in my past it certainly wouldn’t be this one!

It had many challenges; from parenting ones such as potty training round two and my youngest starting pre school. There were sickness bugs that caught us off guard and made me feel like I was the guy from Castaway getting cabin fever at home. There were other challenges for myself, such as learning lessons from certain friendships and coming to grasps with the fact that my social life will never be the same as it was without children and in my early twenties and that I need to embrace the quiet days at home with my toddler and the quiet cosy evenings curled up on the sofa.

Speaking of embracing, that is something I can take away from 2017. At the start of the year, I made it my mission to embrace the seasons and all of the amazing things that happen through the year, such as bonfire night and Easter and to show my children the beautiful world we live in. That’s exactly what we’ve done. We had a summer bucket list and an autumn one. We have had our advent activities to guide us through this festive period and we have had so much fun.

My eldest started year one and looking back to a year ago, I can see how far he has come and I am so incredibly proud of him. He is far more confident and content in school life now. He has come such a long way since the end of his very first term this time last year. I just need to remember to keep change on me at all times for all of the PTA events! My youngest now does a day and a half at pre school and he has taken to it so well. He’s always been more confident out of the two and he’s just gone on to love being there. Next year he will start school and although I don’t feel ready for it, I definitely think he will be.


This year has definitely had its fair share of ups and downs. It has been a whirlwind. 

So as a parent, what I will take away from 2017, is that the years are short so I need to carry on embracing everything. Even the bad days. I crave peaceful evenings once the children are in bed, but what I need to remember is soon they will be all grown up and that is all I will have. So I will be doing my best in 2018 to take the embracing even further, and to embrace it all- even the ugly horrible headache moments. I need to learn to chill more and worry less. About everything. Nothing that I worried about ever turned out as bad as it actually was. As much as this has been a challenging year, I have some amazing memories from this year. I will take away some precious family memories. I will remember 2017 as being one of an emotional rollercoaster. But, many lessons have been learnt. I look forward to 2018 and what will be ahead for us as a family, I have just gained a new nephew and next year there will be a big family wedding. I look forward to creating even more magical and beautiful memories with my family. 

What have you got to take away from 2017? What are you looking forward to in 2018? Leave a comment below, I would love to hear from you. 



For more daily doses of parenting highs and lows, follow me on FacebookTwitter or Instagram


Comments