Today is Happiness Happens Day

Today is Happiness Happens day. But what is happiness? 

Technically speaking; happiness is contentment, being merry and full of joy. 

I used to think of happiness as a goal. If I do a certain task, or become a successful person in something, then I'll be happy. When I've moved or achieved an important goal, then I'll be happy. Or it's a past accomplishment or era in my life. 

Should happiness have to be so complex and hard to obtain? 

Since having the boys I try to define happiness differently. There's different levels of happiness and I now don't try to view happiness as a huge end goal. I go moment by moment, day by day. And I've stopped trying to put pressure on myself to reach contentment and joy. 

And low and behold. Happiness now just sort of happens. Not all of the time but I am also not putting pressure on myself anymore. Instead I am trying to teach myself to find happiness in the little things. 

Like the smell of the coffee in the morning or the sound of the rain on my window as we fall asleep. The scent and feel of fresh bedsheets after a long day. The smile on my children's faces when they're having the best fun. 

To find out more about what makes me happy, read my post on 10 Things That Made Me Smile This Month. By focusing and finding happiness in the small moments I feel like happiness is slowly becoming a much bigger part of my life. Being mindful has also helped my outlook on happiness. To become more a mindful mum, check out my blog post 8 Steps To Becoming A Mindful Mum. 

So, instead of putting happiness on a high pedestal, try lowering what it takes to feel it. Try feeling it in the small moments; even when life feels against you. When you view happiness differently, you find it just happens and finds you. 

That's why today is so important. It's recognising that happiness does happen. In the smallest of moments. It is there, we just need to be more aware. When you view happiness differently, you find it just happens and finds you. 

How do you define happiness? Leave a comment below, I'd love to know your thoughts. 


Liked this blog post? For more daily doses of parenting highs and lows, follow me on FacebookTwitter or Instagram

Comments