The Man Who Started It All

I laid awake in my bed, half hanging off the side because the toddler had already climbed in and made himself at home before we'd even gotten up to bed ourselves, like I do every night. I lay there with my phone in my hands, scrolling through Facebook like I do at the end of the night, checking to see what's the low down. My husband lay the other side of my son and all I could hear was heavy breathing, with a sort of snore that went along side it. The breathing really was quite loud and heavy, and it had a vibration to it every few seconds. The noises then became loud and unreal; it wasn't a proper snore but the type of snore my husband gets when he is full of cold. I look over to him; his head is against the pillow and tissue is stuffed up his nose. This is a little thing he does at night when he gets a cold; he swears it works- I have tried it and it just irritates me. 

Listening to the breathing, laying awake and wondering if I'll ever get any sleep, it took me right back to the beginning. The first night my husband ever slept over, he had a cold. A really nasty cold. We had been up late watching a film and we decided to fall asleep on the sofa as it was big enough and we were small enough back then, instead of dragging ourselves to bed. It was weird it being the first night of him staying over. 

I couldn't sleep to start with, I was so nervous about messing up my make up in my sleep and him waking up to see me resembling a panda. So I waited for him to fall asleep before I could doze off, I waited and then the snoring started. It was the most horrific snore. So loud and it rattled badly. It was the worst snore I'd ever heard and my parents snore pretty loudly! I barely slept a wink that night and I remember thinking to myself "Oh no, I've found an amazing guy and he snores like this! How will I ever be able to sleep at night with him?!" I can't cope without sleep either. I panicked. Obviously this would never have changed my mind about him- I am not a shallow person but I was so tired the next morning. The snore did freak me out a lot; it wasn't a normal snore that's for sure. I don't think I could ever be able to sound out the snore to anyone myself. 

Fast forward a week or so, he asked to stay over again. To my great surprise though the snore had vanished- like the cold had! Relief. The rest they say is history. That snore only rears its ugly head when husband dearest catches a cold. And each time it reminds me of that first sleepover. How I panicked. It's laughable now but at the time I was so upset I couldn't sleep. Then I think of how far we've come since then. A marriage of 5 years, two gorgeous little men and 6 and a half years worth of amazing memories. It certainly hasn't been a snore fest. 

So much has changed. He is the man that started it all. The man that started my family with me, the man that's the Father of my kids. He drives me nuts sometimes, and we don't always get along. We can bicker like crazy, usually over something stupid like him flicking the ads off to watch sports and me panicking I'll miss I'm A Celeb. We are a typical married couple with a lot of flaws but a lot of good. After a week of being touchy and moody with each other, all it will take is a little joke and I set him off, laughing so hard he cries. Then the bad week of bickering fuelled by nights of disturbed sleep from our children ends and we become the best of friends again. We can turn to each other for advice, confide in each other, rely on each other and love each other even more than we did in the honeymoon stage. 

So laying awake listening to his snoring, although it's annoying, it always takes me back. Back to the beginning. I realise he is the man that I started it all with. That gave me my beautiful little boys whom have stopped me sleeping far more than a snore has. So putting up with a cold snore is nada. It's perfect. 




Liked this blog post? Hit follow, subscribe and follow my social media pages. Feel free to leave a comment too, I'd love to hear from you. 


For more daily doses of parenting highs and lows, follow me on FacebookTwitter or Instagram

Comments