Why I Will Embrace Christmas More This Week

After Christmas was over last year I was so upset, sort of like post holiday blues only we hadn't been on holiday. Instead I'd had a month of celebrating my favourite time of the year. I get this feeling of sadness and deflation every year following the Christmas holidays. 

The month of December is filled with such wonderful festivities. The air is freezing cold but hearts are warmed and filled with love. Magic is in the air. Lights dangle and twinkle, glistening in the cold night air from houses. Bright colours fill your eyes as you feast them on the Christmas tree. Decorations signalling the festivities are everywhere, reminding everyone of the magic of Christmas. Drinks are flowing, food is the most delicious at this time of the year. It is the season of good will and jolly folk. It is Merry and oh so wonderful. So last year, like every year, I indulged in all of it. 

And then it was all over. In the blink of an eye. 

And every year I'm faced with the January blues ahead. 


This year I have been indulging even more. This Christmas I will be really making the most of it because it only happens once a year. I know that I will feel sad once it's over but I'd rather feel all of the emotions harder. On this Christmas weekend I will be taking it all in, every little thing. I will absorb every Carol or Christmas song I hear, I will be watching the faces of my children light up with every present they unwrap and I will savour the taste of every mouthful of Christmas dinner or mince pies I have. On Christmas Day, time will stand still. I can not wait. I can not wait to smell my Mother's delicious Christmas dinner cooking in the oven, and feeling the warmth of the fire on my skin. 

Then when it is all over I will feel sadness once again. But it's worth it. 

Instead there is just once thing different I will do this year; I will remember that magic that happens at Christmas and I will try to find it everywhere I go. I will once again look forward to every occasion that's before us, starting with the New Year. I will show my children that although Christmas is the most magical time of the year, there is magic to be found everywhere in life. Like a simple Sunday afternoon curled up in front of the TV. 

But for now, it's the time to indulge. So, this week, embrace it all. 

Embrace the scent of Christmas in your home, the twinkle of the lights on your drives in the dark, the smiles on children's faces as the magic of Christmas shines brightest in them and the sense of love and high spirits. Embrace in good will, do a random act of kindness, sing the cheesy Christmas tunes and savour every moment of Christmas with your family and friends. 

It only happens once a year, but the lead up is awesome, the event itself is the best but the aftermath is blue. It is time to turn it crystal blue. Shining and shimmering. Let us take those magic moments of Christmas, hold them close and sprinkle the magic everywhere we go. 


So in January instead of feeling sad and deflated, feel inspired by the best bits of Christmas. Use the kindness and good will by feeding the homeless or giving to charity. Embrace family by ensuring you spend more time with them, laughing and playing board games because they shouldn't just be for Christmas! Indulge in the odd treat despite having to watch your weight all over- take the kids to Pizza Hut. 

This weekend, embrace it all. Have the very merriest Christmas and use it to inspire you for the 2017 that is ahead of us. Take it all in. 

Merry Christmas. 

What do you find inspiring about Christmas? What are you most looking forward to in the New Year- Pop a comment below; I'd love to hear from you. 

Liked this blog post? Hit follow, subscribe and follow my social media pages. 

For more daily doses of parenting highs and lows, follow me on FacebookTwitter or Instagram

Comments