Bang, Crackle and Pop; 12 Things to do this Bonfire Night Weekend

This year is speeding by quicker than my children towards any sweets in sight. Halloween is now over and we are in November. This makes me so so excited because I can now say that Christmas is NEXT MONTH. That means decking the house out in magical glittery items and singing Christmas songs to my hearts desire. Until then, I must stay restrained. Instead, I shall turn my focus to the next event; Bonfire Night. Last year I wrote all about how the annual event is amazing and how much our family really love to celebrate it with lots of food, fun and fireworks. This year will be no different. What are you doing this weekend? If you're stuck for ideas, I thought I would write a list of things to do this weekend. 


  1. Go to a local fireworks display. I know some may have already been on Halloween weekend, but the great thing is November 5th actually falls on  Saturday this year so check out your local Facebook page for local events. 
  2. Buy some rockets and fireworks and have a mini display in your garden. Please be careful and follow the instructions on all of the packaging. Stay safe. 
  3. Make a Guy Fawkes and burn him on a bonfire. We love doing this year after year, the Guy's get more elaborate and most years we end up making more than one. Towards bonfire night, any clothes that are old and worn and about to be thrown out get saved for this annual event. 
  4. Toast marshmallows and smores on the fire, whether its a bonfire or a cosy one in your lounge. 
  5. Make a traditional warming meal; our bonfire feast usually includes slow roasted pork, a heart warming butternut squash and chilli soup, sausages, jacket potatoes and the most delicious chilli. 
  6. Get your children to create colourful fireworks pictures using straws and paint. 
  7. Go on a walk through the countryside or forest. Nothing beats a weekend walk in your wellies. 
  8. Make toffee apples. Delicious! 
  9. Make rockets out of toilet rolls and colourful paper. Once the kids are done crafting and playing, you can then put them on the fire. 
  10. Curl up and watch a funny family film. My boys love watching 'Big Daddy'- still a classic for me. 
  11. Go for a walk down the beach. Taking a walk with the sea air will help to clear the mind ready for the festive season. Who says beaches are just for summer?!
  12. Do some Christmas shopping. I am no where near at the stage I was last year so I really need to get a move on. I can not wait to finish my shopping and get wrapping. Once the buying is over for me it is all about enjoying and embracing the rest of the year and the festive fun.

What are your plans for this bonfire night weekend? Have you got any yearly traditions that you do this time of year? Pop a comment in the box, I would love to hear from you. 

For more daily doses of parenting highs and lows, follow me on FacebookTwitter or Instagram




Comments