8 BIG Shocks of Becoming a Parent

Becoming a parent is a magical experience. It is life changing, no doubt about it. At first, everything is so different, it feels strange, sort of like a dream but with little chance of actual sleep. Once the baby blues come and go, life as we know it has shifted but then settled down. Parenthood is upon you. Like with everything, some things are better than they were initially thought of and some things were worse than we realised. Here is my list of the biggest shocks to my newly parent system:

1. Worry Wart. When you become pregnant, the gates open and welcome you to the world of worry. From worrying if your bump is kicking or growing enough to worrying about them climbing furniture and breaking bones or making enough friends at school. Worry as a parent is unlike any I've ever experienced and at times it can make you physically sick. It is a heightened level of worry and I don't think it will ever end. 

2. Food Monsters. Be prepared to be eaten out of house and home. I can get a full food shop on a Monday and by Wednesday I need to top up on all fruit and bread. They eat all day long; this never fails to amaze me or my food budget. 

3. The Gross Stuff. It's amazing how OK I have become with poop and pee. Pre-babies, the thought of cleaning up someone else's poop and pee would freak me out, not to mention the thought of snot and sick. Now, excluding the heave- worthy nappies, I'm OK with it. 

4. Unconditional Love. This is the best love ever. I never realised what unconditional love was until I had my babies. I always worried when I was pregnant about whether or not I would love my child. It is phenomenal how much you can love a tiny tornado version of yourself, even when they are being annoying, picking their nose and wiping their bogeys on you. There is always so much love. 

5. Becoming A 'Natural'. I remember holding one of my friend's babies while I was heavily pregnant with my eldest, I also had plenty of babysitting experience under my belt but I still felt sort of awkward holding a baby and talking to other people's children. I was always questioning if whatever I was doing was 'right'. After the settling in period for any new parents, it is amazing how quickly and how natural it all feels, from wiping up the bright yellow newborn poops to juggling babies while eating your lunch. You have become a parenting pro. 

6. Money. I frequently wish that money would grow on trees, it seems to evaporate these days quicker than ever before. One minute you need to stock up on even more food, the next theres a hole in the knees in yet another pair of jeans. Don't expect to treat yourself very much, not that you mind because of the unconditional and natural mothering aspects of parenting. 

7. The Birth. The passage to parenthood varies from mother to mother, but there is no doubt about it, whichever way baby is born, naturally or c-sectioned, it is an incredible experience. The concept of it still baffles me, that your body can grow a human, then not-so-pop, out they come and then they grow into these awesome yet annoying humans. The sight of your child for the first time too, is so emotional, you finally get to meet the human you made. So the birth in itself is an experience which I don't think you can ever be prepared for, no matter how many times you have done it before. 

8. Tick Tock Tick Tock. Time as an adult seems to evaporate quicker than a spilt lolly in the summer heat. Then you become a parent, and it's even quicker than that. In the blink of an eye, the baby you just watched crawl for the first time is now about to embark on their own unique journey at school. It may be the most over said and over heard phrase as a parent, but you really do need to make the most of them while they are little because they do not stay that way forever. As lovely as it is to watch them grow into these funny fascinating people, I miss the baby cuddles, the weaning, the babbling and the crawling. I didn't quite realise how quick time would go and how much I would want it to slow down, just for a while so I can hold on to them as much as I can before they grow too quickly. So cuddle, kiss and play with them before time ticks away again too soon. 

What are the biggest shocks so far of your parenting adventure? Pop a comment below, I'd love to hear from you. 



For more daily doses of parenting highs and lows, follow me on FacebookTwitter or Instagram

Comments